E-Bike Voucher Program
Applications are still open!
Qualified applicants have until April 5, 2024 to use their voucher.
Embracing a vision of a cleaner, more sustainable future, the City of Manitou Springs proudly launched its E-Bike Voucher Program on January 3, 2024. This innovative initiative is set to transform the cityscape by encouraging residents to adopt electric bicycles, providing not just an eco-friendly alternative but also an exciting opportunity to be part of the green movement. Tell your friends, family, and neighbors some vouchers are still available!
The program is offering 100 vouchers in total, with 70 of the vouchers earmarked for low-income residents.
- $700 vouchers for 70 low-income residents
- $500 vouchers for 30 moderate-income residents.
This not only supports those on tight budgets but ensures sustainable living is accessible to all.
The E-Bike Voucher Program invites residents to discover the joy of electric biking, offering an enticing voucher that can be used on the purchase of new or used e-bikes from our preselected local bike shops. Electric bikes make commuting a breeze, promoting an active lifestyle and reducing dependence on traditional transportation.
Positive Impact on the Environment:
As we strive for a sustainable Manitou Springs, the program aims to reduce carbon emissions and traffic congestion. By choosing e-bikes, residents contribute to a healthier, cleaner community, making every ride an act of environmental stewardship.
E-Bikes for Every Lifestyle:
Whether you're a daily commuter, a weekend adventurer, or someone with cargo-carrying needs, the voucher program covers a variety of e-bike styles. From Class 1, 2, and 3 e-bikes to the versatile E-cargo bikes designed for additional passengers or heavier loads, the program caters to diverse preferences.
Beyond environmental benefits, the E-Bike Voucher Program aims to enhance the overall well-being of our community. E-biking promotes physical activity, reduces stress, and fosters a sense of connection as residents embrace a shared commitment to sustainable living.
How to Enter
In order to enter the E-Bike Voucher Program, you must complete an E-Bike Voucher Program Application.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS, so it is critical that you review the draft application prior to the launch, so you have the appropriate documents and materials available before the application launches.
Requirements to Enter
- The E-Bike Voucher Program is only available to Manitou Springs residents aged 16 or older
- Residents must have maintained a physical Manitou Springs, CO address for a minimum of one year
- Low-income is considered below 80% of the American Median Household Income for El Paso County.
- Moderate-income is considered 81%-100% of the American Median Household Income for El Paso County.
|Less than $51,601 annually
|Between $51,601 and $64,500 annually
|Less than $59,001 annually
|Between $59,001 and $73,750 annually
|Less than $66,351 annually
|Between $66,351 and $82,938 annually
|Less than $73,701 annually
|Between $73,701 and $92,125 annually
|Less than $79,601 annually
|Between $79,601 and $99,500 annually
|Less than $85,501 annually
|Between $85,501 and $106,875 annually
|Less than $91,401 annually
|Between $91,401 and $114,250 annually
|Less than $97,301 annually
|Between $97,301 and $121,625 annually
What E-Bikes Are Eligible?
To qualify for the e-bike voucher, the e-bike must be purchased new or used from the list of preselected participating bike shops for use by the e-bike voucher applicant and not for resale. The e-bike must be purchased on or after the launch of the Manitou Springs’ E-Bike Voucher program. Vouchers are not retroactive to past purchases.
The preselected bike shops are as follows:
- E-Bike Sales and Rental Manitou Springs
- Address: 906 Manitou Avenue #102, Manitou Springs, CO 80829
- Incline E-Bikes
- Address: 121 Ruxton Ave #101, Manitou Springs, CO 80829
- Address: 1483 Garden of the Gods Rd, Colorado Springs, CO 80907
- Colorado Springs Bike Shop
- Address: 622 W Colorado Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80905
- Old Town Bike Shop
- Address: 426 S Tejon St, Colorado Springs, CO 80903
The e-bikes covered by this voucher must meet the following criteria:
- Class 1: an electrical assisted bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 20 m.p.h.
- Class 2: an electrical assisted bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance regardless of whether the rider is pedaling but ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 20 m.p.h.
- Class 3: an electrical assisted bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 28 m.p.h.
- The electric motor must be 750 watts or less and cannot be gas-powered
- Mountain bikes are excluded from the program. Mountain bikes are considered a type of bicycle that has a strong frame, thick tires, and straight handlebars and that is used for riding over rough ground.
- Special order bikes are included in this program, but they cannot be refunded/returned.
- No retrofitting or modification to bike kits are allowed to be purchased with a voucher.
- No minimum or maximum purchase price.
An additional $100 is available per voucher if an E-cargo bike is purchased. E-cargo bicycles must have an extended frame designed to carry additional people or cargo. E-cargo bikes must meet all of the following criteria:
- Designed to carry one or more passengers in addition to the rider OR designed to carry heavier or bulkier loads than a traditional bicycle can carry;
- Bike has an extended frame (long tail, long john, Bakfiet or box bike); and
- Bike has a published cargo load carrying capacity of at least 100 lbs.
Smart Riders Train First
Shift Driving is for anyone who driver a motor vehicle, regardless of age or experience behind the wheel. The content is presented from a driver’s perspective and focuses on the gaps in knowledge how to navigate around other road users such as bicyclists and pedestrians. SHIFT Driving is free and only accessible from a desktop browser at this time. You do not have to complete this course in one sitting. The platform allows the user to exit and save their current position to return at a later point in time. SHIFT Driving is made up of five different modules, plus a final exam of 10 multiple-choice questions. The average time to complete the course is 75 minutes.
This training aims to educate motorized vehicle drivers about how and why bicyclists travel the roadways in the ways they do with the objective of developing a shared understanding for all users. Content includes: Traffic Laws & Bikes, Sharing the Road Safely, We are All Human, Why are Bicyclists in the Middle of the Road? Common Crashes between Motorists and Bicyclists, Dooring & The Dutch Reach, Speed Limits – What you Need to Know, Bike Lanes – What to Know, Large Vehicles and Trailers, Weather and Illegal Courtesies, Sharing the Road with Children, and exam/certification.
Electric bicycles (e-bikes) are a fun, healthy, and safe way to explore the great outdoors and make short trips more enjoyable. With more people discovering the many joys and benefits of riding an e-bike, we created E-Bike Smart to share the basics of maintaining your e-bike, handling and charging your e-bike battery, and riding safely while out on the road or trail. Whether you’re new to riding or just need a refresher, everyone can learn and benefit from this course.
This safety guidance will take you through a series of short videos that explain what an electric bicycle is, how to handle your e-bike battery, where you can ride e-bikes, and best practices for rider safety and etiquette when on your e-bike. After each video, you can take a brief quiz to test your knowledge.
Register Your Bike!
Please register your new E-Bike using 529 Garage bike registry site.
Project 529 offers a platform for bike owners to provide information about their bike (including photos) to help with identification in case it's lost or stolen. By registering you increase your chances of having your bike returned.