The public may address the city council during the Public Comment portion of a council regular meeting. Each speaker is limited to three minutes. The city council is not authorized by the Colorado Open Meetings Law to discuss, comment, or take action at the meeting on any issue raised by public comment that is not part of that meeting's agenda. The mayor may refer the matter to the city administrator and/or city attorney for immediate comment after Public Comment, or to city staff to obtain additional information and report back to the city council as appropriate.
Guidelines for public comment to city council
In order to hear as many different viewpoints as possible in the limited time available, the city council asks speakers to:
- Sign-in on the speaker sheet located on the table at the entrance to the council chamber or if attending a videoconference, use the raise hand tool.
- Wait to be recognized by the mayor.
- State your name and address for the record.
- Stick to the point. Presentations that are less than three minutes long are more effective than long and repetitive presentations.
- If previous speakers have made the same point, tell the mayor that you do not need to speak because your point has been made.
- If you plan to present a handout, give it to the city clerk before the meeting starts to distribute to council.
- Address remarks to all council members. City council members pledge to be respectful and open to citizens that appear before them, and expect speakers to do the same.
Other ways to communicate with city council
- Mail: City Council, 606 Manitou Avenue, Manitou Springs, CO 80829
- Email or phone: individual council contact information can be found on the City Council page.
- Agenda Item Comments: provide comments on specific numbered agenda items via the Agenda Item Comment Form.
NOTE: If you want to provide a general comment on a non-agenda item, select General Comment when filling out the form.