Manitou Springs is a Home Rule Municipality located in El Paso County, Colorado with an estimated population of 5,245. We are situated 6,412 feet above sea level and encompass about 3 square miles between Pikes Peak and the Garden of the Gods. Originally known as Manitou, the City officially changed its name to Manitou Springs in 1935. We have a Mayor/Council form of government. Elections are held on the first Tuesday in November in odd-numbered years.
The City's 2019 General Fund budget (net of interfund transfers) is $9,410,947. Total expenditures (net of interfund transfers) for all funds are $20,173,873.
Services provided include:
- Financial management
- Funding to support library services
- Human resources
- Liquor license administration
- Municipal court
- Open space and trails
- Overall City governance by a City Council and Administration
- Parks, recreation and fitness center
- Planning services to implement the zoning code, historic district and subdivision regulations, long-range planning, procurement of grant funding, transportation planning and projects, and economic development
- Provision and maintenance of infrastructure, such as roads, water, wastewater, stormwater infrastructure, and flood recovery projects
- Provision of public safety and emergency services
Programs provided include:
- Recreation and exercise programming to promote healthy lifestyle and water safety
- On-going staff training and education
- Community outreach
- Collaboration with regional agencies to address housing, social service, transportation and other needs
Participants of City services and programs include citizens, business owners numerous visitors and City staff.