The Manitou Springs Planning Department responsibilities include:
- Protecting the Health, Safety, and Welfare of the community through the enforcement of the City’s Zoning Code (Title 18), Historic Preservation Code (Title 17), Subdivision Code (Title 16), Buildings and Construction Code (Title 15), Sign Code (Chapter 15.16), and other Municipal Codes
- Overseeing development and historic preservation review
- Providing support to many of the City’s boards, commissions, and committees
- Conducting master planning and other studies
- Executing special projects
To provide outstanding customer service, share timely and accurate information, support the City's various boards and commissions, and to engage the community in the City's planning process.
The Planning Department for the City of Manitou Springs has a wide range of functions for the benefit of residents, contractor/developers, and local government. Some of those functions include, but are not limited to:
- Building Plan Review: Building plans are reviewed by the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department.
- Code Enforcement: The role of code enforcement is to promote the health, safety and welfare of the community through education, community involvement, and enforcement of ordinances. Our goal is to enure safe, attractive neighborhoods, vibrant downtown and business districts, and peaceful, enjoyable community for everyone.
- Development Application Review: Staff works with applicants to process development applications.
- Master Plans, Studies, Maps, and Guidelines: The Community Master Plan, hazard mitigation plan, and other plans that guide our community's growth, preservation, and development.
- Plan Manitou: Access the community master plan-hazard mitigation plan, maps, community profiles, educational material and more.
- Short-Term Rental Monitoring: The Planning Department monitors and tracks legal short-term rentals in the City of Manitou Springs for compliance with the operation's Minor Conditional Use Permit.
- Special Projects: The community undertakes these projects to implement actions from Plan Manitou and other community plans.
- What improvements require a permit? Do I need a permit?
- How much does a permit cost?
- Which improvements require that plans be submitted prior to permitting? Am I required to submit plans?
- What is Use Tax and what is it used for?
- What is the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department (PPRBD)?
- Can I operate a short-term rental (AKA Vacation Rental) in the City?
- What do I need to know about performing work in the City’s Local Historic Districts?
- What do I need to know about performing roofing work in the City’s Local Historic Districts?
- Are there any penalties for pulling a Property Improvement Permit after the work has been completed?
- How do I locate an easement?
- How do I locate/obtain a surveyor?