The Metropolitan Parking District (Metro) (PDF) was organized by election on July 11, 1989. It is a quasi-municipal entity with which the City has entered into an intergovernmental agreement.
The Board of Directors is made up of five elected members, two of whom serve 2-year terms and three of whom serve 3-year terms. Elections are held on even-numbered years in May. Board members must be part of the Metropolitan District as residents, business owners, and/or property owners.
The Metro District owns and operates the Wichita parking lot at 708 Manitou Avenue (just past and behind the Stagecoach Inn) and the Smischny parking lot at 1134 Manitou Avenue on the far west side of town. Both lots are pay or permit parking only, and violators will be ticketed.