In August of 2010, the City of Manitou Springs initiated a residential Single Hauler Waste and Recyclables Program becoming the first community is southern Colorado to do so. This took years of talks and meetings (pdf) but now there are fewer trash trucks on our streets and they only come on one day instead of several.
Bestway Disposal is the City's current trash/recycling contractor and Tuesday is the City wide trash/recycling pick-up day.
Tuesday is the City Wide
Trash/Recycling Pick-Up Day
Contact us at:
City of Manitou Springs: 719-685-2573
Bestway Disposal: 719-633-8709
Help Save the Bears!
Purchase a bear proof container. You may contact Bestway Disposal to find out preferred bear proof contain types, fees for purchase, and to arrange a purchase. If you currently have a bear proof container, please contact Bestway Disposal to assure they are able to service it; only containers purchased through the Bestway Bear Proof Container Program will work with Bestway's equipment.
What can be Recycled?
|Aerosol Cans (Empty)
Brown Paper Bags
Bulk or Junk Mail
Chipboard (Cereal Boxes etc.)
Plastic Milk Jugs
|Plastic Items NOT accepted: NO PLASTIC BAGS, plastic egg cartons, six pack ring holders, plastic plates, Styrofoam.|
What Is Single Stream Recycling?
Basically it means you NO LONGER HAVE TO SORT!!! Single stream recycling (also known as “fully commingled recycling”) refers to a system in which all paper fibers and containers are mixed together in a collection bin instead of being sorted into separate commodities by the resident. This means that you can now place ALL of your newspapers, cardboards, plastics, glasses, etc. in a SINGLE container. No more sorting and multiple recycle trash cans!
To learn more about Single Stream Recycling please watch the video at Bestway Disposal Residential Recycling.
What Are The Benefits of Recycling?
Our weekly recycle volume now represents 28% of our overall waste stream or 7.05 tons of trash being recycled. That equates to 30.5 tons per month or 366 tons of recycle annually!
- Recycling saves landfill space: Many landfills are filled with tons of waste material that could have been recycled. Some of this material is considered non-biodegradable and takes a long time to decompose. Recycling ensures such items will be properly disposed and processed.
- Recycling saves energy: when new products are manufactured from the raw materials obtained through recycled products, it saves the energy consumed for the production of new products.
- Recycling reduces pollution: it helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The processing of fresh raw material creates more toxic materials that pollute the environment. Using products from recycled material reduces the amount of energy needed and toxins produced.
- Recycling creates economic benefits: it creates employment opportunities for many people during the various stages of the process. This in turn contributes to economic development.
- Recycling saves natural resources: processing and using an old, used product for the production of a new product saves natural resources. Using recycled paper for making newspapers saves trees.
Back to the RESIDENTIAL PUBLIC SERVICES page