Planning for Hazards
Welcome to Manitou Springs Planning for Hazards project webpage! Manitou Springs was selected to participate in a pilot project managed by the Colorado Department of Local Affairs (DOLA) to update the City’s zoning code and subdivision regulations to reduce the City’s risk to key natural hazards: wildfire, flood, and geologic. This project will help implement actions from Plan Manitou, the City’s integrated master plan-hazard mitigation plan.
Planning staff is working with DOLA staff and a consulting team led by Clarion Associates, with support from Acclivity Associates, to facilitate this project. The project extends from April 2017 through June 2018. A working group that includes City staff and stakeholders was convened to guide the direction of the project in Manitou Springs and review work products at each stage of the process. In June, the working group reviewed possible ideas for zoning and other land use tools. The group discussed important criteria, such as the ability to reduce risk, alignment with community goals, and staff capacity, and selected four priority tools for reducing the City’s natural hazard risk.
The team is currently carefully reviewing the City's existing zoning and subdivision regulations and considering how to update and improve those regulations to reduce risk, which will be documented in an assessment memorandum. Then, the team will clarify the scope and function of each tool; draft updates to the City's zoning and subdivision regulations; revise those drafts based community on feedback; and prepare a final draft for adoption. Staff and team prepared a Community Engagement strategy that includes a survey to obtain early stakeholder feedback; email updates to solicit comments on drafts; meetings with groups and individuals on request; and joint work sessions with Council and Planning Commission at each phase.
The following is a schedule for the Final Phase of this project. Some dates may be subject to change.
- March 12, 2019: Working Group #5 - City Council and Planning Commission joint Work Session
- April 3, 2019: Release of 3rd Draft Code changes
- April 18, 2019: Community Open House
- April 24, 2019: Public Comment due regarding 3rd Draft Code changes
- May 1, 2019: Release of Adoption Draft (Tentative Date)
- May 8, 2019: Public Hearing with Plannning Commission (Tentative Date)
- May 14, 2019: City Council Work Session (Tentative Date)
- May 21, 2019: First Reading at City Council Regular Meeting (Tentative Date)
- June 4, 2019: Second Reading/Public Hearing at City Council Regular Meeting (Tentative Date)
- 04-13-2018 Staff Overview Memo Proposed Updates (PDF)
- 07-27-2017 Memo on Priority Planning Tools (PDF)
- 11-20-2017 Memorandum Guidance for Updates to City Zoning and Subdivision Regulations (PDF)
- Chapter 16 Subdivision: Second Draft - Tracked (PDF)
- Chapter 16 Subdivision: Second Draft - Clean (PDF)
- Chapter 18 Zoning: Second Draft - Tracked (PDF)
- Chatper 18 Zoning: Second Draft - Clean (PDF)
- Clarion Transmitttal Memo: Second Draft (PDF)